Skimboarder Bill Bryan, 14 time World Champion, in Laguna Beach, CA
Click on the tabs (and subtabs) below for details . . .
Skimboarding Sunglasses Considerations
Style - We estimate that for most of our customers, half of choosing the correct pair of sunglasses, comes down to style.
And, choosing your style should be based on personal preference and your desired look.
Ventilation vs. Sun Protection
Ventilation to combat fogging, versus increased coverage for sun protection, is a difficult balancing act.
- Ventilation is important in colder weather if working up a sweat. Differences in temperature between the outside air and your face, contribute to fogging.
- Sun protection is most important in tropical settings, at high altitudes, where there is ozone depletion (such as Australia), or for those with lighter skin
- Closer fitting frames work against ventilation, yet offer more sun.
- Whistler and S Rat II frames have a removable nose piece that separates the frame from the face to increase ventilation. The nose piece can be removed to get a close fit when ventilation is not an issue.
- Below is the order of the most ventilation to least ventilation:
- S Rat II with nose piece (most ventilation).
- Whistler with nose piece
- S Rat II without nose piece
- Road Trip
- Whistler without nose piece
- Standard (most wrap and sun/wind protection, least amount of ventilation)
A removable strap allows for use out of the water. (Included with Road Trip, Whistler and S Rat II frames, option with Standard frame)
Type of Face
Unless you have had problems with "off-the-rack" sunglasses not fitting, you should be okay with any style.
We mention the head sizes only for people who have problems with sunglasses fitting in the past.
That is, they know that sunglasses usually are too big or too small for their face and they ask us what is better for a small face or a large face.
A. For wider faces, consider a wider frame. (Whistler II and Road Trip frames are for average to larger faces)
B. For narrower faces or kids, consider a narrower frame. (S Rat II and Standard frames are for average to smaller faces)
C. For Asian style faces, consider a frame with a built up nose piece. (Whistler II and S Rat II)
All Silverfish Sunglasses Include These Items
-Polarized (option with Rx) lenses cut down glare, or vertical light that reflects off flat surfaces such as water, wet roads, etc.
-100% UVA/UVB protection
-A non-elastic strap avoids pressure headaches caused by elastic straps.